Sunday, January 9, 2011

One final blog before I depart

It has been a crazy few days.  Tomorrow morning I leave my hotel at 430am to head to JFK to catch my plane to Thailand via Tokyo.  I have met so many amazing people in my PC group, and I know that we are going to have a blast for the next 2 years.  It is a relief to have the process of getting to this point finally over and getting the journey started.  I feel like for the first time in months I can finally take a deep breath and relax.  I know that I have a TON of work ahead of me, but I also know that it is worth it.  We will be training 6 days a week for the next 10 weeks and living with a host family for 8.5 of those weeks.  I know that I will be frustrated, lonely, and maybe even angry at times, but believe that the excitement, friendship, and culture are going to win me over and make this an experience that I will love and never forget.

The one thing that I did realize today, is that for the first time I am with people that I don't have to explain myself to.  There are no weird looks, or odd questions about why I would chose to join Peace Corps or how I could possibly want to do something where I don't get paid.  I know that my friends and family understand to some extent, but it is nice to be sitting with 67 other people who share the same mindset as me when it comes to volunteering. 

I honestly don't have a lot to say, I just really wanted to get one last blog in until I went "off the air" for a couple of weeks.  I won't have access to the Internet for a little while and will be so involved in training I will be to exhausted to attempt to write anything anyway.  Thank you so much for reading this, and hopefully I will have more interesting information later while throwing in a few witty jokes.

Talk to you from Thailand later!!!!

1 comment:

  1. It was great to get in one last call before you left this morning, have a safe journey and I hope you get a host family you like :)

    ReplyDelete