Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dancing, Eating, and More

Looks like I have access to Internet much sooner than I thought that I would.  I am borrowing the Internet off of one of my neighbors who lives down the road.  I have to admit, when I moved in with my host family yesterday I was a little apprehensive about it.  I couldn't understand a thing that they said (and really, I still can't) and I felt like I wasn't answering the questions correctly.  I still feel that way a little bit, but I am feeling slightly better about it.  I would like an hour to myself, chilling outside to read a book, but I don't know if I am going to get that in the near future. 

This morning, I was woken up a few times by some beautiful music starting at about 430 am...the roosters didn't seem to know when the sun came up either because they started to crow at about 1 am.  But, it was ok, because I had a comfortable bed, good smelling air, and I am in Thailand.  I got to experience some sort of ritual today.  It may have been ordaining a monk but I am not sure.  I was dancing through the streets with women and then I was circling a temple (over and over) still dancing.  At 9am I had my first taste of Thai beer (not bad).  Then the new monk threw money at the crowd. It was very interesting to see.  I wish I had more time to tell about it.

This afternoon, me and some PC peeps went house to house trying to find each other.  It was a good little break to get away from the house.  I don't get much alone time.  I am having trouble eating.  More than 5 bites make me feel kind of sick.  I don't know how to convey this to my host family now, so I feel bad not eating all of the food in front of me.  I hope it is ok.  I think it is just nerves that is preventing me from eating, because I feel ok otherwise. 

My English to Thai dictionary is my Bible and I carry it everywhere.  I still have many barriers I cannot cross but things are getting better.

Got to go, don't want to use the neighbors Internet too long.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the food thing will pass, it could be just as simple as change in climate, and timezone. Less than a week and you're dancing in the streets; I like that very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got your blog to feed into my phone via my RSS ticker screen. Woot!

    ReplyDelete