Thursday, January 20, 2011

Biking through the Tambon

I live in a Tambon (Tambon Bon Heep) that I bike through every day to my classes.  Depending on which road I choose to ride on I get a VERY different experience.  I have a small cement path that runs by the canal where I can see fishing lines and nets thrown in the water.  It is very serene and beautiful.  I as I bike down the road, I acknowledge the locals with "Sa-wa-di-ka" and a nod of my head.  The elders smile back at me and the children giggle at me.

When you hit a major road, I have to remember to bike on the left side and avoid all vehicles bigger than me (which is all of them).  It can get quite exciting trying to cross the road to get to the right side when there is a lot of traffic.  If you have ever played the Frogger game, it is similar to that.  Don't worry, I am pretty safe and all the Thai people are very nice.  The dust that comes off the road can be immense in the afternoon.  Many of my fellow PCers wear handkerchiefs over their faces coming home.  It takes me about 20 minutes each way to and from school every day.

We started language classes again a couple of days ago.  My group actually meets at an SAO office directly across the street from my home.  So far I can count up to 9999 and tell you where I am from and a few different types of food....This accounts for me learning more in 4 days than I did in 2 years of Spanish....go PC and my Thai teacher!!!

I am trying to fit a lot into a short post...I am only on my lunch break and I have class in 20 min and I still have to change out of my biking clothes.

I have been eating some strange things lately...I have had intestine, liver,  dried fish, and some unknown squishing animal products.  I choose to not always know what I am eating.  It has been a very interesting experience.    Tomorrow, I am actually going to be helping my mom cook a meal for the Tambon.  I think it is really for 10 monks and the village gets to eat what the monks choose to leave behind.  I believe my teacher said that once a year the monks bless the school by my house.  I will write more later about it.  I have an assignment to talk to people and meet them there.

Anyways, got to go know.  I'll try to find some interesting things to write about and take more pictures so you can see what Thailand looks like.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you're learning the language quicker than you did Spanish!

    I'm starting to learn more of the Farsi, I can now say "How are you?" 3 different ways and "I'm good" Even if it's the only thing I can say to Khale Joon (Navid's Aunt) then I am ok with that.

    Got my fingers crossed you don't get splatted like the Frog in the game!

    Keep yours crossed that I get the "At-Home-Agent" job at work lol

    Maybe I should send you some of those handkerchiefs just for faces... like the motorcycle people wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are learning the language quickily! I hope you like your family! It sounds amazing out there!!!!! You want to hear something funny? I'm going to tell you anyway...I accidentally called you the other day, your phone doesn't work :( Hope you are having a blast, miss you out here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amy - Too funny that you called me...I just bought an international calling card this morning so we will see how that goes

    @Jennie - A Tambon is a group of villages. It is pretty small. I biked through my Tambon today in about 30-45 min

    @Amanda - Hope you get the job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly I did not get the At-Home-Agent position. Though I think that was my own fault because I was discussing with my Manager that my Supervisor said I should check out the jobs in Orlando where QA is. His face lit up like a kid who just opened a present he had been waiting for.

    My Department is opening 2 QA positions, and when he told me that I wasn't chosen for the AHA he also said "But you couldn't have done that and QA"... almost like he is holding me back because he knows I would have applied.

    We discussed it and he said he was going to give me a heads up when he posts it so I can apply asap... We talked about my QA at VZ and what I did and stuff.. so I almost feel glad he didn't give me AHA but then again I would have liked the choice... even though I said I would have given up AHA to do QA in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete