Friday, June 10, 2011

Bedtime Stories

Huh? What?

It’s still dark outside, middle of the night.  Why am I awake?  What is going on? So groggy…just want to sleep.  Wait!  What is that?  Oh, it must just be an ant on my leg.  It’s moving fast; calf, knee, thigh.  Is that what woke me up?  You’d think I would be used to it now.  Oh well…it tickles, time to brush it off so I can go back to sleep…so tired. 

I reach down to brush off the ant that so rudely woke me up in the middle of the night.  I hit the little sucker with a swipe of my hand…better…wait!?  Did my ants get bigger?  What the hell did I just knock off my leg?  I pause for a second.  It couldn’t have been more than a second before I heard clicking noises and feel something much larger than an ant scramble across my bed.  Holy Sh*t…please don’t let this be that huge spider I saw in my room a couple weeks ago.  I quickly grab my phone from the top of my computer and turn on the flashlight attached to it.  I look around my bed…nothing.  I look again. There it is!!! OMG what is that, it’s huge!! And it was on me…yuck!  Small yelp and I clamber out of bed, stretching my arm out to reach the light in the shortest time possible.  Flicker. Flicker. Flicker.  Come on light, just turn on!  Flicker. On!  I inch my way back to my bed.  Nothing.  Where did it go?  I slowly remove items from my bed.  Pillow, blanket, towel; each getting roughly shaken before I set them aside.  The only thing left on my bed is the blanket that sits atop the board that I sleep on.  Where did the creepy crawler go? 

Ok. I am going to slowly lift up the blanket to see if it somehow got under there. …I found it.  I found the thing that was crawling up my leg.  Why couldn’t I have just stayed asleep?  Life would be much simpler if I had.  Attached to the bottom of my blanket is a cockroach.  3 inches long with antennas just as long.  And, it was on me.  *shiver* Gross.  Ok, now that I see it, what am I going to do?  I would love to just toss it out of my room, but I’m not going to touch it and I have nothing prepared to entrap a cockroach.  Well, sorry little creepy guy, but you must prepare to die…or at least be hurt enough so I can get you out.  I lower the blanket memorizing where the roach is positioned.

I grab one of my chucks (All Star – Converse shoes).  I can’t hit him too hard, my host families room is right below me and they might hear and come running up.  But, I need to hit him hard enough to immobilize him.  Bam!  Bam! Bam!  I hit my bed hoping beyond hope that I got him.  I life up the covers again…he’s gone.  I missed.  I look under the bed, shake the blanket, lift up everything that he could have crawled under.  Apparently, my overly friendly cockroach is a fan of Houdini. 

Its 1am and I have a roach running loose in my room, ready to feel me up at any time.  Great.  How am I supposed to sleep now?  I’m not.  That is the simple answer.  I leave a light on in my room so I can inspect any sudden movement or noise and flip open my computer.  I just need a cute, funny movie to hold me over until I can sleep again…’Kate and Leopold’ it is.  Who doesn’t love a Hugh Jackman movie? 

An hour later…alas, sleep takes hold of me.


Some pictures from the last week:


Starbucks! Iced vanilla Latte and chocolate
muffin...yum!
The most comfortable bed in Thailand
We planted trees yesterday out by the lake.


Can you imagine wearing all of that when it is over 100 degrees out?

These guys really wanted me to take their picture
Group picture!!

This is my Balot (his nickname is Gop - Frog). He is my immediate supervisor


No comments:

Post a Comment