Sunday, February 6, 2011

If I only had....

Mac 'n' Cheese, life would be grand.  I miss cheese like no other, and I would love to go out and order a BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger with extra BBQ on the side.  Alas, these two items are not very plentiful in the beautiful land of Thailand.  Luckily, I spoke with my sister, Heather (my American sister), and she has promised to send me some of those mac'n'cheese packets once I move to site.  You have no idea how excited I am about that.  In other news, I finally found a couple of places that make Pad See Ew!!!! So exited, since this is my absolute favorite Thai dish.  It is different from the states, and there seems to be a lot more sugar used in Thailand for dishes than in the US....I don't understand how they stay so skinny...must be all the hoola-hooping.

Today, I saw Elephants!!! They were awesome!  I haven't had the chance to ride them yet, but they were doing the coolest tricks.  I will post the pics as soon as I get them uploaded onto my thumb drive.  But, just to give you a tid bit of info; there was a baby elephant (adorable!) and he just kept shakin is "little" booty at everyone and dancing to the music.  On of the larger elephants stood on two leggest and had a man do a handstand on his tusks.  It was definitely fabulous.  We also ventured out to a few Wat's and I saw the biggest budda ever.  We did a very cool Buddist ritual while we were there, that I am just so grateful to have the chance to be a part of.  I can definitely say that this has been a very successful and fulfilling Sunday.

Alright, John asked for it.  Here is me in my pasin; holding it up of course.  Dom is next to me.  She is absolutely hilarious.  This is taken right before Culture Day started. 


My host dad.  He is so nice and generous.  These are two of the kids in my family.  The one decked out like it is the middle of winter is my brothers son...guess I have a nephew now.

Aren't these wrapped beautifully?!  Yes, I would say they are.  These are the kanoms that my mom, Chris and I made last weekend.  The green is bananda leaves and the part that looks like twine is actually thin strips of wood.  There is definitely some technic to this.

A farm right across the street from my house.  The farmer actually waters it all by hand using a bucket that is tied to a stick.  He gets the water from the mote surrounding his crops.

Ok, I admit; this is not the best picture of my tan, because I am tanner than this.  But I told Denise I would get out a picture of it and this is the best I can do.  I actually just got my first sunburn yesterday across my neck.  I guess I was hanging out in a field to long with my fellow PCers without any sunscreen on.  It was worth it though.  It was a great afternoon.  I will be using sunscreen from now on though.

Two weeks and counting until I find out where I am going to be heading.  Next weekend I have an interview for placement.  4 days after we find out where we are going we leave on a site visit....can't wait! 

I am so happy I was able to call Heather, Jennie, and Grandma D today!  Next weekend I hope there will be more phone calls in the works...I miss everyone...you should all come visit me.  I'll talk to ya later

1 comment:

  1. I think the Pasin suits you, thanks for sharing the pic.

    If Heather has you covered for Mac, I can work on whipping up a batch of BBQ suace for you.

    ReplyDelete