Friday, April 22, 2011

Random Thoughts...

I was positive that Songkran ended on Sunday.  Monday and Tuesday were work as usual.  Wednesday, I came into work, opened up my notebooks, dictionary, and computer and sat down at my desk.  This is when Ron Muay walked in and informed me that Songkran was not quite over for our Tambon.  We were going to do another blessing of sorts and give a “bath” to a few select older people in the village right outside our office.  At the designated hour, I walked outside to discover that a pond (with fountains) had been erected outside in our parking lot.  Next to it we had a Buddha statue and many different types of flowers.  I figured this was just a short ceremony and that I would be going back to work after some food and prayer.  

I was wrong…first it was food.  Luckily, it was pretty good and I was sitting with some of the council members of my village so I got to get to know them a little bit better.  Then, we were each advised to grab a bucket of perfumed water and pour it on the Buddha (similar to what we did during Songkran).  After this, we formed a line and, in a procession, poured water over the hands of the elders in our community.  Some of them joked around and cupped their hands so they could throw the water back at us.  I thought that would be the end of it.  I came to work in “work clothes” and was not expecting anything more.  And, that is when it happened…the water fight began (AGAIN!).  Water was being poured over shoulders, down backs, and in your face.  Someone found the ice water and proceeded to empty the melted water over people’s necks and down their backs.  

This went on for about an hour when the karaoke started.  They asked me to sing a song, but I politely declined.  Instead, I had quite a few men singing songs for me and to me while telling me they love me (It’s always good to be loved).  I split a Sky wine cooler with a few of the girls from the office and the men drank their whiskey. Sneak attacks of cold water were present throughout the afternoon and karaoke lasted long past when I went home.  All in all, a strange, but fun afternoon.  …NOW Songkran is officially over.

In the wake of Songkran, things seem pretty mundane here in Bangrakam.  I spend my mornings on the computer, checking email, typing out questionnaires (in English – still working on my Thai translations), and writing a short bio of myself to present to people that I might just be handing surveys to.  At lunch, I head out of my Tessaban office and stroll the streets.  Sometimes I will grab my bike and head out, but I like to walk because it gives me a better chance to start conversations with people as I walk by.  I can’t walk for too long though because it is so hot out these days.  I usually am away from the office longer if I am biking.  I have been trying to bike outside of the Tessaban so I can get a sense of my surroundings as well.  It is fun to go down an unknown street, say hello to an unsuspecting child to have them run screaming into their house “Farang! Farang!”. 

Yesterday, my Balot presented me with a task that is due in the middle of next month.  The fiscal year in Thailand starts in October.  They are currently working on our budget for next year.  They have tasked me to think of projects that I can do in the community (different than ones already discussed) and write up a proposal for how much each will cost so they can approve it.  They have given me the option to use 20,000-30,000 baht total for the year out of the budget.  I know what I will be doing the next two weeks.  I have to get out and find out exactly what this community wants me to do.  I have some ideas already, but I don’t know if they are things that are already in place, are wanted, or if they have already been thought of….I guess I will find out soon.

I have only had the chance to look at one house so far.  It is a little apartment behind my Tessaban office.  It is smaller than any apartment that I have ever had.  I told them that I would prefer not to live there unless we can’t find anything else for me.  Things are not looking too promising, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can find a place for me.

Sidenote: If you were wondering, which I doubt you are, this is how you would write my name (first name only) in Thai:  เมแก

This Sunday I am going to get to experience my first Sports Day.  I am super excited (even though it’s cutting into my weekend).  I think they might have me play volleyball, but I don’t know.  There are going to be a lot of sports going on all day.  Definitely a day where it would not be good for me to forget my sunscreen (although, now that I think of it, I think it’s supposed to rain – mud futbol anyone? ).  I hope its going to be a blast! 

3 comments:

  1. So that's what work is like for a CBODer? You were actually given the task to come up with a project and estimate its cost. I can't wait to start work. I'm still just meandering my neighborhoods and waiting for the summer break to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your apartment can't be any smaller than mine is going to be! It's tiny!!! But I love it ... I can't wait to move in and start getting settled. Good luck finding a place you like (or setting this one up to your liking :) ) Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jade: Being a CBOD can be different depending on your Tambon. For the most part, you start by coming up with a 2yr plan with your counterparts on activities/projects they would like you to do. So these are things you know you will have to do from the start. Then you do your PCAT thing and find more potential projects. The funding comes in if you would like your tessaban/SAO office to pay for part/all of a project. If so, a good way to ensure that they have the money is to get it into their yearly budget for the next fiscal year. That is where I am right now. They want me to plan a few projects so that they can put it into the official budget so we know we have the money. CBODer's are not required to do this (often there is left-over money in the budget or we can find funding elsewhere), but we can.
    I wish I had a couple of weeks off before starting work. Yeah, I haven't been doing too much, but it would be nice to have a few days (or a week) to hang out, walk around, and relax...instead, I started heading to my office the day after I got here.

    @Kylene: I don't know...I bet it would be a pretty close call for who has the smallest. This place only has 1 window and I would have to stand on my squat toilet to close the door to my bathroom. I really don't want to have to take it because it is in the back of my office and I don't think I want to live that close to work, and it just seems do dark and damp...hopefully, I will have another place to look at soon. Miss you too! See ya in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete